Circular Letter 0035/2017 - Assessment Instruments (including tests and web-based resources) approved for use for guidance and/or learning support in post-primary schools
The Department of Education and Skills has published a Circular Letter 0035/2017 on assessment instruments approved for use for guidance and/or learning support in post-primary schools which has been informed by the work of the Advisory Committee on Psychometric Testing (below). The Circular highlights good practice in relation to the selection, administration, interpretation and retention of assessment related information and the provision of feedback to students. It can be accessed from HERE
The Register of Psychometric Test Use: guidance counsellors, which is maintained by the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI) endorses the professional competence of guidance counsellors in the administration of psychometrictests and supports the implementation of good practice in psychometric testing in schools.
To apply to join the register and to find out more click HERE
Both NEPS and NCGE provide guidelines on best practice in psychometric testing which are available below:
The Advisory Committee on Psychometric Testing is convened by NCGE on behalf of the DES and meets once every 2 - 3 years to review and update the list of psychometric tests and assessments approved by the Department for use in post-primary schools.
The following organisations are represented on the Committee:
- Institute of Guidance Counsellors (IGC)
- ILSA (Irish Learning Support Association)
- PSI (Psychological Society of Ireland)
- NEPS (National Educational Psychological Service)
- DES (Department of Education and Skills)
- NCGE (National Centre for Guidance in Education)
- DSGC (Directors of Studies in Guidance Counselling)
- School of Inclusive & Special Education (DCU St. Patrick’s Campus)